It’s never too late.

Andrew Krause, Staff Writer

As a graduating senior, I’ve been reflecting back on my time at Marian. It seems like only yesterday I was attending freshman orientation and sitting in our GEN 101 class. To say the least, things went by fast. But, there’s been one significant takeaway I’ve learned through my college career: it’s never too late to get involved.

I’m a commuter student, and I’ve traveled to school 35 minutes each way for the past four years. Although it was convenient, I didn’t choose Marian because I could commute here—I chose it because I felt like I belonged here. However, commuting made it somewhat challenging to meet people at first.

During my first few years at Marian University, I felt I wasn’t as involved as I should’ve been. I went to classes, went home, and went to work. It wasn’t ideal, and it was difficult to make friends outside of class when I needed to be back in my hometown to go to work every night.

Joining Business Club at the end of freshman year was the beginning of my involvement at Marian. Through Business Club, I finally found something I could dedicate myself to and people I could relate with. Helping organize the club’s first mini golf tournament helped me feel a sense of belonging. I went on to serve as Vice President, President, and now Secretary of the club.

Even though I became involved late, this first step gave me the confidence to join other clubs and organizations, take classes that challenged me (through the Honors Program), and attend more extracurricular activities. During my second year, I went on the Honors Program spring trip to Chicago for the first time and couldn’t believe how many great people I met. I’m glad I took the risk and decided to go.

Becoming a Communication minor last spring gave me another opportunity to build even more relationships at Marian. The people I met in my Communication classes were amazing. Last fall was probably one of my busiest semesters, but it was one of the most enjoyable due to the new friendships I made through my classes.

The pinnacle of my late involvement on the Marian campus is this: I joined the Sabre Voice during my last semester. Regrettably, I wish I would’ve joined sooner. Why did I bother joining now? I wanted to try something new and make an impact while I still had the opportunity. The people I’ve met through the Sabre Voice have made it all worth it, and I’ll always remember my experiences as a staff writer. It won’t necessarily end though—I’m super excited about staying on the team as an alumni staff writer!

My advice to current and future Marian students is to dedicate yourself to something here. Even if it’s one club or activity, be passionate about it. Take a risk, and try something you’ve never done before. Make the most of your time here; the years will go by fast. If you want to try something new, take it from me: it’s never too late to get involved.