Celebrate Marian

Hannah Buntrock, Writer

A Marian University event that all students, faculty and alumni can and should get involved in is soon approaching. Celebrate Marian is a week celebrating Marian University and its students, faculty and alumni. The week of April 28 through May 1 will be dedicated to multiple events put on by many different groups on campus and include live music, sports events and meet-and-greets.

Trevor Block, the director of annual giving, stated that this is Marian’s second Celebrate Marian event. This is a new-found tradition which is growing with each and every year, especially this year. Throughout the four days of Celebrate Marian, there will be events for all students, faculty and alumni to enjoy.

The first day of Celebrate Marian will kick off with the 24-hour Day of Giving. In this 24-hour period, students, families, alumni and faculty can come together to raise money and support Marian student scholarships. This money can be donated in person or online by following the link at www.marianuniversity.edu/giveCelebrateMarian.

Also on Thursday, everyone will have the opportunity to meet and listen to the award-winning author, Elizabeth Nunez, who is not only an author, but also a teacher and Marian University alumna.

As for Friday, the Marian Chamber Singers under the direction of David Hein will perform selections from their Spring Concert. On Friday afternoon, there will be a presentation regarding drug use in sports to enhance performance that will allow guests to participate in learning about the impact of the drugs.

Later in the evening, live music from Color Theory, a Marian group consisting of Zach Ball, Jose Claros and Ben Liebelt, will be held in the library. Zach Ball is a junior who is not only a member of Color Theory, but is also a part of the Student Senate Executive Board, the Little Big Band, Wind Ensemble and Chamber Singers. Ball stated that he personally believes this is going to be one the best years for Celebrate Marian and he is definitely right, as the schedule for the weekend is packed with fun for everyone.

Other events held on Friday include an alumni baseball game at Herr Baker field at 6 p.m. to cheer on our past baseball players as well as Marian’s Got Talent, which will showcase the talent of Marian students.

On Saturday morning, students are able to join in on the Splatter Fun run, a two mile color run or walk, while enjoying live music from Color Theory. Many groups are involved in the Splatter Fun Run, including student mentors and members of residential life. After the run/walk, there will be a three-on-three basketball tournament run by several members of the athletic department, including Nicole Paulus, a junior student athlete who is a member of the SACC organization as well as the Marian women’s golf and basketball teams. Of the game, Paulus stated, “You don’t have to be an athlete on campus to play. It’s a fun atmosphere and there are prizes for first and second place.”   

For the rest of the afternoon, there will be live music from three different bands and performers along with varsity baseball and softball games at noon and 3 p.m., respectively. The music variety includes Chasin’ Mason, a group originally based in Wisconsin, at 2 p.m., Young Rising Sons at 3:45 p.m., and finally Sammy Adams at 5:30 p.m. The live music will be held in the Naber Hall grass area for all students to attend. The last event on Saturday will be at 8 p.m. in the Hornung Student Center and will be a performance by Marian’s own, performing a vocal Jazz ensemble and Little Big Band concert.

For Sunday, the final day of Celebrate Marian, there will be a champagne lunch from 11 to 1:30 p.m. to honor the 50th anniversary of the class of 1966. To close the weekend, Celebrate Marian’s final event will be a Sunday night mass at Dorcas Chapel taking place at 5:30 p.m.

Students, faculty and alumni, come out and take advantage of the entertainment, learning opportunities and activities available from April 28 through May 1.  Come celebrate Marian and help show the community what Marian is all about! To register for events, you can go to www.marianuniversity.edu/CelebrateMarian.