Has Facebook Lost Its Edge?

Rachel Lederer, Writer

Face-to-face communication has always been a large part of maintaining valuable relationships. However, online communication tends to take the effect of facial features away as well as make the personal connections and the norms that surround them less meaningful. Does this mean that Facebook changes our relationships? Lauren Tarshis, author of “Facebook: How Has Social Networking Changed How We Relate to Others?,” says Facebook, when first created, was not meant to be mean, so what has contributed to this drastic change?

One issue associated with Facebook is that many students find it difficult to interact with their peers on it because their parents, aunts, uncles and even grandparents are using the social media site. Cody Woyak, a current freshman study nursing at Marian, says he would personally feel his privacy was being violated, and he would not have a place that is just his. Could that be the reason there are so many more social media sites available to users today? Are the students of Marian University just hesitant to log on to Facebook because they are afraid of what they might find?

Steven Levy, co-author of the book “Facebook: How Has Social Networking Changed How We Relate to Others?,” writes that the act of “friending” someone on Facebook has now become quite a controversy. In the beginning, there was really no question about “to friend or not to friend.” Now, 12 years later, when people friend and unfriend others they know on Facebook, social interaction is a bit marred. This is due to the fact that friending and unfriending someone is perceived as a huge deal. If someone does not necessarily like another person, they will unfriend them on Facebook, an act which is often seen as rude. On the other hand, when a person receives a friend request from someone who he or she interacts with or want to be friends with, this brightens his or her day. The issue is that some people just send friend requests on Facebook because it is a nice thing to do and others choose to delete friends on Facebook because they have grown distant and no longer feel an obligation to be around them anymore.

All of this begs the question: “Has Facebook lost its edge?” This can only be answered by the students who still use Facebook on a daily, weekly or even monthly basis. With the various social media sites offered today, Facebook is still very prevalent in people’s lives and, despite the negative connotations that come with it, Facebook is a social media site that maintains positive connections for people around the world. For instance, foreign exchange students are able to use Facebook to keep in touch with their host families and friends across countries. Facebook can be used to keep great connections between people and strengthen if valued. However, connections seem to be worth a dime a dozen these days. In the end, it is ultimately the decision of the users as to whether or not they use Facebook, or any other media site, as a form of online social interaction to maintain the relationships in their lives.