The Ultimate Cost of Marian

Hannah Buntrock, Writer

As students at Marian, I think it is fair to say we are all curious as to where our money is truly going and how that location is determined. It is easy to go onto other campuses and see the new buildings and other amenities, leaving many students possibly left wondering why Marian is not getting the same “upgrades.” While many choose Marian for other reasons, such as the amazing academic programs, good student to professor ratios, the small-community environment, athletics and other opportunities, there are still those asking: If other universities can make large changes for growth and development, why aren’t we or why can’t we?

One of the reasons fueling these questions is that next school year, students will see another rise in tuition. Some students, like Rebecca Loresch, a sophomore health care administration major, believe this raise is unfair to current students. Loresch stated, “I think it’s fair to only have the freshman pay for the raise in tuition and allow the upperclassmen to pay the amount that was agreed upon when enrolling in college.”

Others would like to know where this raise in tuition is going. Shalyn Treptow, a sophomore nursing major, said “I just want to know where all of our tuition goes. You see other private colleges getting upgrades, yet Marian doesn’t see many changes.” For students, this information is not readily available. According to Trevor Block, Director of Annual Giving, “The most representative list of where the money goes and who our donors are is compiled in our Annual Report, which, as the name states, is provided annually to supporters of the University.” This means the only people who see the money and where it goes are the ones who donate to Marian, although can be requested by others to be viewed.

However, even with these questions, we must also remember that there is much more going on behind the scenes and many forgotten areas of campus which need the money. One of these places is scholarships as with each rise in tuition, students still have the chance to lower their cost by applying for them. Each semester and year, Marian has a great deal of generous people willing to donate money back to our students in the form of scholarships. As students we must also remember this is a gift from others. This is not Marian taking a piece of our tuition out, it truly is a gift.

For those who donate, Marian also allows people to choose where and in which ways their money will be used at: http://www.marianuniversity.edu/donate/. According to Block, if you donate, “…You have the option to designate your gift to a fund/department of your choosing.”  This means that it is ultimately the people who make donations to Marian who have a strong say in where the money goes at the university.

As students, we should be and are grateful for all of the donations and scholarships we are awarded with every year and semester. Although we may not always know where our tuition dollars end up, I think we all can say we look forward to what the future holds for Marian and the changes to come that will be helped to be made through them.