The Bizarre eSports Club Approaches!

Leo Panelo, Webmaster

Over the years, student groups and organizations have contributed to the Marian University by engaging students in a vast number of activities to benefit the campus or the Fond du Lac community in many ways. During this year in particular, several new organizations have formed within the student body in order to appeal to the interests of a wide variety of students. One example of a new student organization which is the eSports Club.

eSports is a unconventional field of sport which involves video games. Popular video games such as “League of Legends,” “Overwatch,” and “Dota 2” are among the many games being played competitively on a grand scale. Unlike competitive gaming, which already existed with two-player fighting games, these games involve teams of players which aim to dominate the other. Such games have even been played in stadiums with thousands in attendance and millions more watching on television and the internet. The latest of significant eSports activity took place in 2016 when “League of Legends” received over 14.7 million viewers for their World Championship in Chicago (as mentioned by ESPN).

Surely, it’s crazy to think that even video games are now considered as sports, but hey, welcome to the future!  It’s exciting to share that these advancements are coming to Marian as well.

The eSports Club of Marian University seeks to not only be competitive but also recreational with such video games. In doing so, the club can be more open to students who peak interest in the rising sport.  Whether students are experienced or inexperienced, the eSports Club welcomes them in hopes of helping students understand and become a part of the growing eSports movement.