Marian University’s Big Band 2017 Concert Hosts Thompson Square

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mike Rosenfeldt, Staff Writer

Toward the end of every school year, Marian University Student Senate sponsors an event called “Big Band” which consists of a cover band and a “big,” well-known band coming to Marian for a concert during Celebrate Marian weekend. The bands are chosen by a group of students who make up the “Big Band Committee.”  Some acts which have been invited to Marian in previous years include Gym Class Heroes, We The Kings, Echosmith, The Lost Trailers, and Nico & Vinz.

This year, the Big Band Committee has selected Thompson Square as the main act with Driftwood as the opener. For those who are not familiar with Thompson Square, the band consists of a country music duo, Keifer Thompson and Shawna Thompson, from Nashville, Tenn. If you couldn’t tell by their identical last names, Kiefer and Shawna are husband and wife, adding an interesting dynamic to their creation of music.

According to Billboard.com, their 2011 self-titled album charted at number three on the country music charts. In 2013, their album “Just Feels Good” charted at number four. It should also be noted that their 2010 single “Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not” reached number one on the country music charts. Thompson Square has had their fair share of awards including Vocal Duo of the Year at the Country Music Association Awards.

You should also make sure to catch the performance of the opening cover band, Driftwood. Driftwood comes from right here in Fond du Lac, Wis., and according to their website, “Driftwood combines Top 40 Country, with 80’s and Southern Rock to give their shows something to remember!” They will provide a different style of music for those of you who don’t want to hear only country music.

This year’s Big Band event is part of Marian University’s Celebrate Marian weekend and will be taking place on Saturday, April 29 at 4 PM in the Stayer Center parking lot. There will be many other events throughout the weekend, so be sure to look at the calendar and find something that interests you!