It’s No Secret: The Marian Campaign is For Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

McKenna Rohan, Editor

Over the past academic year, students have witnessed a plethora of exciting signs of growth throughout the Marian University campus. August brought the announcement that the Dock Spiders, a new franchise team in Northwoods League baseball, will be partnering with Marian University and making Herr-Baker field their home. September brought the sound of bagpipes with the official inauguration of Marian’s 16th president, Dr. Andrew P. Manion, and December included the re-activation of a winter graduation ceremony for more than 100 Marian students!

As the new year arrived, so did news that tuition for the 2017-18 academic year would be lowered for the first time in an unbeknownst number of years. In February, Marian’s new Center for Health Professions in downtown Fond du Lac was dedicated and blessed as it began holding classes to serve the growing needs of nursing students. In addition, it was announced that the Marian academic structure was being re-organized from four schools to two colleges, named College of the Professions and College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters.

If you think all of this is exciting, just wait; April has only just begun, and it has already followed suit in the pattern of opportunistic change for Marian University. On April 6, 2017, Marian University announced its entrance into the public phase of a 13 million dollar comprehensive campaign titled, “The Marian Campaign: Inspired Students, Stronger Community.” This campaign will better the University by raising funds to support not only endowed scholarships for students but also to renovate and expand the dated science center. The renovated building will be named in honor of Dr. Richard and Leslie Ridenour, commemorating all that Dr. Ridenour has done for Marian since his time serving as the University’s president from 1997-2006.

A student-focused approach has been emphasized by President Manion in every decision made since he arrived in Fond du Lac last spring. This campaign, he explains, is no different; “Every dollar raised will support our students’ experience either through the dramatic improvement of the science facilities or by making a Marian education more affordable through increased scholarships.”

Similar excitement and passion for serving Marian’s students comes from the Advancement office where Tracy Milkowski, vice president of Advancement, states, “A comprehensive campaign strengthens universities. The Marian Campaign provides momentum, moving Marian University forward and allowing both the institution and our students to achieve success.”

Since the Campaign is designed to serve current and future students, it is imperative that we, as students, become engaged in helping the university reach the Campaign goal. Students have already shown their commitment to the Marian Campaign by making a $50,000 gift through Student Senate, but there is still more to be done. President Manion explains that students can help in a variety of ways including the simple tasks of “sharing news about the Campaign on social media, communicating about their positive experiences at Marian to their friends and family, expressing their appreciation towards those who have supported the campaign, and working with the Office of Advancement to help us raise more money, and others.”

In a year recognized as a celebration of Marian University’s 80th anniversary, I can only imagine the original founders of Marian University, members of the Congregation of the Sisters of St Agnes, listening to the incredible signs of growth and achievement across our campus and sharing a wide smile of pride in the tremendous work being continued in their name and honor.

For more information about The Marian Campaign or to donate, contact the Office of Advancement at advancement@marianuniversity.edu or at 920.923.7613. Additional information can be found at marianuniversity.edu/themariancampaign.

1 Comment

One Response to “It’s No Secret: The Marian Campaign is For Students”

1. Greg Reed on April 22nd, 2017 10:41 am

I’m so excited for this adventure and immensely proud of our community and partners for making it happen. #SabresSupportingSabres

• It’s No Secret: The Marian Campaign is For Students

News

Women in Sports Night an Empowering Opportunity for All

News

Wear Red for Heart Disease Awareness Month

News

Library Asking for Students’ Suggestions

News

Just Did It!

News

The Muriel Press, Marian’s Own

News

Marian Community engages in March for Our Lives Protest

News

A Week Full of Opportunities for Sports and Recreation Management Students

• News

Advancing the Sabre Mission: The Marian Food Pantry

News

The Honors Hub and More: Improving Marian’s Honors Student Experience

News

Adrian Gonzalez Wins Big at AVI Systems Event