Was High School Useless?

Gracie Thies, Webmaster and Staff Writer

Transitioning from high school to college can be hard. Most of the worry is about living in a new place, making new friends, and feeling comfortable. One aspect that isn’t expected to be concerning is the grades.  

We all go to high school thinking the teachers prepare us for college because that’s what they tell us, but do they really? Once students step foot into college classrooms, professors warn that college will be harder than high school and start unloading the multiple papers due in the next week. Many college freshman students would agree with this statement. Getting straight A’s in high school doesn’t mean the same in college. We were taught the basic skills needed to pass a class, but not the skills needed to exceed expectations or really do well in college. 

The criteria to succeed in high school is different than it is in college. High school had possible shortcuts and not everyone took reading textbooks seriously. The small assignments were simple and there were often several weeks given to write a paper. In college, assignments take longer to finish and the deadlines for papers can be just days after they are assigned. High school may offer very little preparation at all. 

Time and time again, English professors say the grammar rules we were taught in high school are not what we use in college. But why were we taught that way? High school comes before college because the teachers are meant to prepare us for the next step in our careers. Yet we only fall behind. 

It’s a good thing that colleges and universities provide services to benefit students. Some to name at Marian are the Writing Services Center and the CASE Office. These offices deliver assistance in helping students be more successful. If someone needs her paper reviewed, the Writing Center can give her valuable feedback to improve the essay. The CASE Office will help a student create a new resume, find a tutor, or look for available internships or externships.  

Private college tuition and fees on average can cost about $34,000 a year. That’s a hefty price considering some students must take extra classes and possibly stay in college for an extra year just because they didn’t receive the proper education in high school. Students try to avoid the five-year plan, but even placement tests, depending on how well students complete them, may not help students avoid having to take more classes for credits. 

College students have so many things to worry about besides scheduling classes. Even students at a community college can have issues enrolling and participating in a required class—being lost in a college general education course is a bad problem to have. It means being behind the rest of the freshmen class and suffering through courses for things that should have been taught and learned in high school.