5 Ways Career Services Can Help You Improve Your Professional Development

Kelli Bahls, Staff Writer

The mission of Marian University’s Office of Career Services centers on providing opportunities for students to engage in career exploration, assessment, and preparation. By offering a variety of tools and resources to promote student success in the workforce, Career Services has something for everyone, no matter where they are in the job search process. 

To capitalize on these opportunities, however, students need to be aware of these resources and take advantage of them. Here are five simple ways to improve your professional development this semester, courtesy of Career Services: 

1. Attend a presentation by guest speaker Alonzo Kelly and learn strategies for success.  

While his message caters more toward student-athletes, guest speaker Alonzo Kelly’s educational background and work experience suggest that his advice has merit for nearly every student on campus. With three Master’s degrees, this Marian alumnus worked as Ambulatory Care Manager for Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, Senior Vice President and Head of Shared Services for Wells Fargo, and Program Director of Graduate Business at Silver Lake College before he started his own company, Kelly Leadership Group, LLC, in 2009.  

His presentation, “The Truth is Not Eloquent; The Difference Between Great Shape and Game Shape, and Which One Employers Prefer,” will be held in the Stayer Center Auditorium on Sunday, March 4, 2018, from 6:30-7:30 p.m.  

1. Attend a job fair, like the Workforce Career and Internship Fair.   

Networking at job fairs provides an opportunity to ask questions, get answers, and see who’s hiring. Whether you’re exploring different career options or have a set field in mind, networking at job fairs allows participants to connect with employers in a professional yet casual setting.    

Be sure to research the companies that will be attending the event ahead of time, setting quantifiable goals to increase your level of engagement during the job fair. For example, collecting ten business cards provides you with the opportunity to hold ten conversations with ten different employers—all in one afternoon.    

While job fairs vary in size and attendance, this year’s Workforce Career and Internship Fair promises to be well-attended by employers and job seekers. Last year, more than 1,000 attended the event at State Fair Park in West Allis, meeting with over 180 employers.1 The event, scheduled for February 20, 2018, is only open to students and alumni of private, nonprofit colleges and universities in Wisconsin, making it an excellent place for Marian students to network with employers.   

1. Make plans to attend a career workshop. 

Career workshops are informal sessions that focus on answering questions like, “What is the graduate school application process like?” and “What strategies should I use when I talk to employers at a job fair?”  

Each session focuses on a particular topic, providing participants with general information, advice, and strategies for success. The sessions are also a perfect opportunity to ask questions and evaluate the quality of your career engagement.  

Upcoming career workshop topics include “Utilizing LinkedIn and Marian Connect for the Job Search” and “Making the Most of Your Summer.”  

1. Chat with an employer during an Employer Spotlight session. 

Employer Spotlights allow students to interact with business and non-profit representatives on campus. Each spotlight serves as its own “mini job fair,” starring one featured employer or non-profit representative. Whether you’re interested in that company or industry, or whether you have questions about how your skillset might benefit that organization, consider stopping by and chatting with the featured employer during the Employer Spotlight session.  

Employer Spotlights are hosted in the Stayer Atrium and Center for Health Professions (CHP). Featured employers slated for this semester include Clarity Care, Cadre Staffing Agency, Ascension Healthcare, and Aerotek. 

1. Check the Career Services webpage for more upcoming events.

Looking for a list of upcoming job fairs, Employer Spotlights, workshops, or details on the ones mentioned here? See all their dates, times, locations, and more on the My Marian calendar or by visiting the Career Services webpage.