The Muriel Press, Marian’s Own

Jackie Drake, Editor and Staff Writer

An inspiring new inter-program project is coming to Marian University.

The university has just established the Muriel Press, an embedded micro-press which will publish works of authors in the Upper Midwest (including Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, North and South Dakota). This year, the publication will be a poetry manuscript between 45 and 90 pages long, though there are hopes to alternate between publishing books of prose and poetry in years to come. The publishing process will be a collaboration between the author and students in English, art, and communication classes.

English professor Christina Kubasta stated, “As the English Program has been exploring ways to serve our students, we’ve been discussing new classes, new ideas, and ways to connect literature, writing, and the job market after graduation for our majors and minors.” The Muriel Press was the final result.

The official submission call will be between April 15 and June 15, and the selection process will occur over the summer. By the Fall 2018 semester, English and art classes will participate in designing and editing the book, and during both the Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 semesters, communication classes will be working with the author on designing the book’s launch and media campaign. The book’s official launch will occur between April and May of 2019. “Once the book officially launches, it will be available through the Muriel Press website, as well as Amazon, Ingram, and possibly other formats,” Prof. Kubasta said. She also explained the process will be print-on-demand, which will mean “when an order is placed, the book prints and ships—using this method, we don’t need to do a print run of a particular size or schedule print runs.”

Named for Sister Muriel Tarr of the Congregation of Sisters of St. Agnes, once a teacher and poet herself, the press will keep to Marian’s Mission and Core Values by publishing works with a focus on social justice. Prof. Kubasta said it will have an interest on “highlighting voices that may get lost in the traditional publishing sphere.”

The first of its kind at Marian, the Muriel Press is sure to be an exciting undertaking.

Prof. Kubasta would like to encourage students to sign up for ENG 312: Advanced Composition this upcoming fall to be part of this year’s book project. Visit the Muriel Press website for more information and specifics on submissions.