The Celebrate Marian Weekend

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Celebrate Marian Weekend

Jackie Drake, Editor and Staff Writer

Celebrate Marian technically started Thursday, April 26, with a Jazz concert in the HSC, but there are plenty more events that will make up this annual celebration of our university and its community. Take a look at the full schedule on the Marian University website, but keep reading here for a short summary of all the fun.  

The event this year may have adopted the name “Grey Skies and Rain Fest,” but that title is more of an homage to the past few years of the spring event than this weekend’s forecast. This Saturday, weather forecasters are anticipating temps in the upper 40s but considerable amounts of sun. 

So what are the general events happening this Saturday? You can catch several athletics games for women’s alumni volleyball, women’s softball, and men’s lacrosse at different times between 11:00am and 2:00pm. Then, general festivities will begin at 3:00 in the outdoor space near Naber Hall and the Hornung Student Center. Among some of the fun will be a food truck, henna, water balloon slingshot challenges, and even catapulting! Be sure to check the full schedule for details. 

At 4:15, opening Big Band performer CADE will open for headliner David Nail, who will take the stage at 5:30. This free, open-to-the-public concert is funded by Marian’s Student Senate. Nail is a country singer from Missouri, and his four albums include I’m About to Come Alive (2009), The Sound of a Million Dreams (2011), I’m a Fire (2014), and, most recently, Fighter (2016). \ 

Take a break this weekend and check out Celebrate Marian! There’s something for everyone.