Another Year of the Sammy’s

Gracie Thies, Webmaster and Staff Writer

The 3rd annual Sammy’s student athlete awards were on Thursday, April 26. It was a comedic event with almost every team in attendance, including the fully dressed down Men’s Lacrosse team that was given plenty of shade from the women’s soccer team during the event. The awards were hosted by Chris Deprez and Paul Kinder, who tried to make the awards as much fun as possible. 

Although it was an awards ceremony, there were a few great accomplishments made this year. Coach Boyle of the Men’s Basketball team will be retiring after coaching for 30 years at Marian University. Women’s lacrosse will be added next year following the addition of a men’s team this year. Alonzo Fragoso of Men’s Soccer is the leading goal scorer in all the nation. Men’s Volleyball played in the first round of the playoffs for the first time in program history. Men’s NCAA Hockey received its first bid at large to the tournament in program history and Marian Athletics finished off the year with 35 senior athletes that will graduate.  

Among the awards presented were many of the usual awards but the athletes stood out. Newcomer of the Year Award went to Allie Fox of Softball and Jake Sherwood of Men’s Golf. Jenna Wojahn from Women’s Soccer and Brock Weston from Men’s NCAA Hockey were the recipients of the Male and Female Community Service Award. The Community Service Teams of the Year belonged to Women’s Basketball and Men’s Volleyball.  

Not only is being in sports just about being on a team and winning games, it’s also about excelling in the classroom. Athletes are not eligible to play unless they have a certain GPA. George Mangone (3.98) and Rachel Soch (3.99) were presented as the Scholar Athletes of the Year because of their high level of academic success. The teams that also received the award were Men’s Tennis and Women’s Golf.  

A twitter poll was created at the beginning of the awards to make the atmosphere a little more entertaining. Anyone from Marian could vote for Headshot of the Year and Couple of the Year. Kyle Carrigan from Men’s NCAA Hockey won the Headshot of the Year Award and the Couple of the Year to Chris Deprez and Hailey Miller. 

Managers were also recognized at the awards for their outstanding contribution to their team. Among those recipients were Greg Robinson and Kristen Houle. Not everyone is given the opportunity to be recognized but an award was given out that was for the people that do a lot on the team, but it’s not easily seen. Rachel Soch of Softball and Marcus Kadinger of Men’s Basketball received the Unsung Hero of the Year Award for their outstanding contributions to their teams. 

The final award of the night, the Sabre Cup, went to the Men’s Volleyball team, as everyone celebrated their great season. The Sammy’s were yet again very successful, and all athletes were able to come together for a night in honor of themselves.