Athlete Spotlight: Charity Hertel

Alexander Davis, Reporter

Our Athlete Spotlight is Charity Hertel, #35 on the Women’s Soccer team. Charity has been playing soccer for almost 14 years and decided to play in college because of the passion she felt for the sport.  

“If you don’t have the passion and drive for the sport, you probably shouldn’t do it,” said Hertel during our one on one interview.  

This amazing mid-fielder Is from Muskego, Wisconsin, and spent about seven years growing up in Charlottesville, North Carolina. Only to move back with her family to our lovely cheese state. Her favorite thing to do in soccer off the court is to juggle the soccer ball.  

“In high school, before and after practices my coaches would make us juggle the ball so we could improve our touches and I also did it with my dad. My highest is 298. “  

We asked Charity what her definition of a team is, and she told us, “Teammates are willing to work for and with each other, no exceptions. Being able to accommodate for who you’re playing with and being a part of a whole unit instead of just thinking it’s me on the field is how I think a team should work.” Charity also loves to make practice fun by encouraging her teammates and making jokes to lighten the mood.  

“I’m one of those people where when I get upset in a game I play bad, so in practice, I always try to stay positive and encourage my teammates.”  

We asked her if she could tell us a joke: 

“That caught me off guard…You mean… besides my life? Ha-ha just kidding… mostly.”  

What do you think the most important part of soccer is to you?  

“Having the passion to do it. If you don’t want to be there then you’re not helping the team, you’re setting them back.”  

Why is soccer your passion?  

“When I was in high school, I quit because everyone in my life made it not fun anymore. But when I came to Marian I decided to give it one last chance just because I didn’t want to lose out on the opportunity. Now I’m a sophomore, and I have a team and coaches that depend on me just as much as I depend on them. Now it’s more of a family rather than a team and it also became my outlet for whenever I’m feeling down which is why I became so passionate about it.”  

How does being an athlete reflect on your everyday life?  

“For writing my resume or going into job interviews I always say that I play soccer. It’s shown me how to have a work ethic. With soccer, you wake up every morning and have to choose whether or not to keep working and I feel like because of that, it’s greatly enforced my work ethic.”  

What’s it like being a student-athlete?  

“It’s stressful. It’s fun because I get to talk about how I’m a part of this team and how I get looked at and having coaches who are looking out for me, I know I’m trying my best. It’s hard because you need to constantly be planning everything in advance. Its stressful but also fun, and it looks good on a resume.”

About the Writer
Alexander Davis, Reporter
Alexander (or X) is a social work and psychology major from Madison, Wisconsin who strives to work with children who have been burdened with domestic abuse and foster care. He has won State finals for slam spoken word in 2016 and 2017 and continues his writing both academically and competitively. He is looking forward to...