Just Did It!

A large billboard stands on top of a Nike store showing former San Francisco 49ers quarterback (Colin Kaepernick).

Shana Risby, Reporter

Nike did just that! Nike recently sparked controversy in their recent 30-year anniversary ad of their “Just Do It” campaign.  In this ad Nike highlighted various athletes ranging from Lebron James and Serena Williams to special Olympic athletes who truly beat the odds. Amongst these athletes, Nike decided to bring former football quarterback Colin Kaepernick to the for front,  making him the new face of the “Just Do it” campaign.   

In the featured ad, Colin Kaepernick’s picture was taken in black and white with the words: “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything” written across the photo. That is exactly what he did. In 2016, Kaepernick was seen by the world after a photo of him kneeling during the National Anthem went viral. Kaepernick kneeled during the National Anthem as a peaceful protest against police brutality and recent racial tensions towards people of color. As a result of Kaepernick’s protest, he was removed from his former NFL team, the San Francisco 49ers, and has been a free agent for almost two years now. He felt as if he was blacklisted by the NFL.  

Nike received backlash and criticism from their own supporters after making Kaepernick the face of their campaign. President Donald Trump is amongst these people who are outraged by this action. After the launch of the ad, Trump later tweeted, “What was Nike thinking?” In another interview President Trump had with The Daily Caller, he called the Nike campaign terrible, stating, “maybe there’s a reason for them doing it, but I think as far as sending a message, I think it’s a terrible message and a message that shouldn’t be sent. There’s no reason for it.” The public had their own response to the ad as well. Many people video tapped themselves burning their Nike products, cutting out Nike symbols, as well as throwing away their Nike gear. These videos and pictures were posted on twitter, Instagram, and Facebook using the hashtag ‘Nikeboycott’. A Louisiana mayor of the city of Kenner, even took matters into his own hands by banning clubs from buying Nike products. This included getting any deliveries of Nike products to any clubs that were funded through the city’s recreational department. 

Despite the backlash Nike received, there were more people in support of this decision as opposed. According to the Quinnipiac University Poll ages 18-34 are 65% in support of the Nike advertisement, while only 30% disapproved leaving 5% of the voters staying neutral. There have been many speculations that Nike was losing money during this campaign, but Nike’s recent data showed otherwise. Since the ad launched Nike has received a 31% increase in online sales, which is more than they usually receive around this time of year. Last year Nike received 17% percent in their online sales during this similar time last year.

Kaepernick’s 49ers jersey is amongst the bestselling jerseys in the NFL currently. Many celebrities have went about praising Nike and Kaepernick for their success with “Just Do It” campaign. Blackish TV star Jenifer Lewis wore a red and black Nike sweater with the word “Nike” written in white across the front, on the runway of the Emmys, with her hair picked out into an afro to show her support.  Other celebrities took to their social media to show their support by reposting the advertisement and responded to the individuals who videotaped themselves burning their Nike apparel.  

About the Writer
Shana Risby, Reporter
Shana Risby is a senior and a native from Detroit, Michigan. She is currently studying in Communication with an emphasis in Public Relations and minoring in Psychology. Shana transferred after getting her Associates degree at Wayne County Community College, in Detroit, when she was recruited to play Basketball here on campus. Prior to her attendance to Marian she...
4 Comments

4 Responses to “Just Did It!”

1. Stephen Rodriguez on September 22nd, 2018 10:24 pm

A very well done story, with lots of meanings. While I personally don’t support Nike products, or Bill Nike, I have to give respect to Colin for standing in the midst of adversity. I’ll be watching this writer for more interesting stories.

2. Dr. Hernandez on September 24th, 2018 2:32 pm

Great article Shana. Do you know what the public opinion of college students here at Marian is on this issue?

3. Tia on September 24th, 2018 6:43 pm

I’m impressed. Thanks for speaking about something that most people need to be aware of.

4. Antonio Colley on September 25th, 2018 1:06 pm

I loved the article, and the fact that you decided to write about this topic. The ariticle flowed like a good informative conversation between you and your readers and I appreciated your unique writing style. At the end of the day, this is America, a place where 400 years of free labor from our ancestors built up this nation to be an economic juggernaut today. The systematic oppression of African Americans isn’t something that surprises me anymore. People like Colin Kaepernick, who bring awareness to the social injustices in America, will always be needed and appreciated. Thank you for choosing this topic to write about and continuing the fight. I wish you the best and continued success.

• Just Did It!

News

The Muriel Press, Marian’s Own

• Just Did It!

News

Marian Community engages in March for Our Lives Protest

• Just Did It!

News

A Week Full of Opportunities for Sports and Recreation Management Students

• News

Advancing the Sabre Mission: The Marian Food Pantry

• Just Did It!

News

The Honors Hub and More: Improving Marian’s Honors Student Experience

• Just Did It!

News

Adrian Gonzalez Wins Big at AVI Systems Event

• Just Did It!

News

Science Center Construction: Why You Should Care

• Just Did It!

News

Crime on Facebook Live: What to Do if You See Something

• Just Did It!

News

It’s No Secret: The Marian Campaign is For Students

• Just Did It!

News

Marian University’s Annual Day of Giving: What is it?

Just Did It!