New Staff on Campus: Ya-Feng Cheng

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Staff on Campus: Ya-Feng Cheng

Kate Dombrowski, Reporter

Professor Ya-Feng Cheng is a new addition to Marian’s School of Education staff. She comes to us from Taipei, Taiwan. She studied at UW-Madison and was a first-generation graduate of college, with a degree in early childhood education. Professor Cheng misses the food, milk tea and bubble tea from Taiwan, but is finding new places that serve bubble tea. She decided to become a teacher because it makes her happy to see children enjoy learning. She ended up teaching college students instead of early childhood students for two reasons. Of her decision she says, “Every teacher has maybe 30 students, but when I teach educators it effects each of their 30 students and so on.” She also likes that in teaching education, she continues to learn more about the topic, helping her to become a better teacher. If she wasn’t a teacher, she would want to do something with science, “Probably in a lab, probably, something where [I] can keep learning.” During her time at UW-Madison, she met her husband who is also from Taiwan. They just married last summer.  

Cheng had never come to the United States before college but applied to 20 universities here. However, she was not aware of how cold the winters are here, saying, “People ask me if I would have still come here if I knew it got so cold and the answer is, I don’t know.” Her favorite thing about the United States so far has been the diversity here and that people here are very direct and honest. She says, “It can be a good thing and a bad thing, but it opens your eyes.” She has been able to travel to some states across the nation and her goal is to visit a zoo in every state. So far, her favorite was the Bronx zoo, and her least favorite was the Boston zoo. While Boston is one of her favorite cities, she was not a fan of the zoo, though this may have been because she went in the winter. Professor Cheng loves animals. She has a one-year old cat of her own, Sweet Potato. She’s had two other cats in the past, but says Sweet Potato is much more vocal than the others. When she goes home to her third-floor apartment, she can hear Sweet Potato meowing from the second floor, though “he is too cute to be blamed.” Aside from playing with Sweet Potato, her other hobbies and past times include watching movies and growing vegetables and plants. Her favorite plant is a sunflower because of how it grows, “always chasing the sun.”  

Marian is very lucky to have someone as optimistic and passionate about teaching as Professor Cheng. She chose Marian because of its five core values, especially community. Coming to a country where she knew no one, this is very important to her and falls in line with her teaching philosophy that learning as a group is best. The one thing she wants the community at Marian to know is that she is happy to be here and learn together.   

About the Writer
Kate Dombrowski, Reporter

Kate is a sophomore from Delafield, Wisconsin majoring English and Secondary Education. She spends most of her time either working at GNC, or with her...