Know Your Limit

Gracie Thies, Editor/Webmaster

Four weeks into school and Marian students are relishing in the college drinking culture. As much as students love to hide it, we all know drinking is what makes the weekends bearable in a town like Fond du lac.  

Slim and Chubby’s or Fat Joe’s, take your pick. Not trying to give anything away, but even professors know that is what college students are doing when times get boring and they’ve had enough of homework for the day. This semester there have already been at least two students taken in an ambulance, which is crazy. We could say ‘know your limit,’ but that’s not what it’s about. 

Getting as drunk as possible is what it’s all about. RA’s are supposed to protect students, but is that even possible when most people come to school in hopes of having the best years of their life. Not saying that Marian is a lame school, it’s just bound to happen. This isn’t a lecture about the effects of drinking, just a fun informational session. 

College is very stressful as we all know. Many college students fail to stand to peer pressure because of the constant need to out drink others. Drinking is embedded in every college culture. There’s no way of eliminating it, even if the administration brings in a TED Talk every month for the rest of the school year.  

College students have their own way of thinking and no adult that went through the same experience is going to change that. Although, everyone could use a little enlightenment on the subject. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism states that about 1,825 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die from alcohol related injuires. Not to mention that drinking too much on the week days can make you regret it the next day when it’s time for class. 

It’s hard to realize it at first, but drinking takes a toll on the body. Too much of a good thing can be bad. We could talk about different times that people got too drunk and embarrassed themselves. It would be funny for about ten seconds and then you’d remember that was the time you and all of your friends got written up.  

Write ups have been a growing problem around Marian. It’s normal for this to happen at the beginning of the year due to a misunderstanding of the rules and policies. The university can choose to punish anyone that is seen or caught with alcohol in their room, if they are under the age of 21. Typically, one would receive an email about meeting with administration to talk about the whole encounter. Then, they will look over all the information collected and decide if you were at fault or not. If one is found at fault, there are punishments to follow. 

The main message here is to be careful and precautious of what you do to your body. Drinking is dangerous for everyone, especially when it comes to consuming large amounts in a short amount of time. 

About the Writer
Gracie Thies, Editor/Webmaster
Originally from Belvidere, IL, Gracie is a sophomore majoring in Sport and Recreation Management with a minor in Marketing. An avid Packers fanatic and concert goer. She is the Marketing Executive of  Business Club and tries to attended as many events on campus as possible. She is currently working for the Milwaukee Bucks as a...