Where Does Your Tuition Go?

Kate Dombrowski, Reporter

The average public college tuition is $10,020, with private schools only a thousand or two more. When Marian students see their tuition, it’s double that. College students live on limited funds, either from their parents, or working. While Marian offers payment plans and scholarship opportunities, it is still important to know where your money is going.  

While tuition is the biggest source of revenue for Marian, they also generate funds from auxiliary enterprises (like the bookstore), gifts, grants and bequests. The total revenue for Marian is $33,507,000 with $22,810,000 of that coming from tuition and fees. None of it went towards the Science Building. The Science Building was paid for through a capital campaign, which consisted of pledges over three years to raise $11,000,000. All of the buildings and other expensive equipment are considered assets to the school, totaling $66,307,000. In the 2017-18 year, Marian had $30,510,000 in expenses. These expenses are broken down into categories to help budget the school. 

The category with the highest expense, of course, is instruction. $8,355,000 goes towards instruction. This category includes faculty and academic programs, like the writing center. The second biggest category is student services with $7,185,000. Student services cover everything from the nurse, counseling center, testing center, campus ministry, career services, financial aid, disabilities, and athletics. Some of these generate some of their own revenue though, like the nurse’s office and sports. Academic support is next on the list with costs reaching $4,880,000. This funds the library, registrar’s office, CASE office, institutional effectiveness office, operating expenses and the excel program (TRIO).  

The next category is institutional support, costing $4,757,000. This covers the President’s office, business office, graphic services, advancement office and marketing. Auxiliary expenses make up the next category with $2,917,000.  These include housing, residence life, and the bookstore. While these generate some income, it is returned to the school in auxiliary enterprises and disbursed. The last category and smallest expense are plant operations. $1,050,000 goes towards building maintenance, grounds maintenance, housekeeping, utilities, power, and plumbing. 

With tuition currently listed as $26,950 per student, it is important to make the most of the services provided. Asking faculty to meet during office hours, utilizing the writing center, and visiting the library will all help put your tuition to use. You’re paying for it either way, so you might as well make use of what’s offered. 

About the Writer
Kate Dombrowski, Reporter

Kate is a sophomore from Delafield, Wisconsin majoring English and Secondary Education. She spends most of her time either working at GNC, or with her...