Men’s Ice Hockey Looks for Another Win

Back to Article
Back to Article

Men’s Ice Hockey Looks for Another Win

Kate Dombrowski, Reporter

Marian Men’s NCAA Hockey team is now 40% through the 2017-2018 season. After last year’s success, in both the regular season and qualifying for the NCAA Division III national tournament, this year’s team is showing that last year was not a fluke. The team has won 6 games so far, lost 3 and tied one. Marian knocked off the number two team, Adrian College Bulldogs, in the opening week. The team then went on to win both games in their home opening weekend starting the season with a 4-0 record. The biggest win was against Adrian, but also won against Trine, Aurora, Lake Forest, Bethel and Finlandia. In 10 games, the team has totaled 25 goals, 37 assists, and 132 penalty minutes. 

Freshmen players on the team have stepped in and proved to be helpful in many of those wins. Yuri Chernichko has three goals in eight games, two of those contributing to their win against Bethel University. Nathan Walker, a defenseman, is another key freshman with the game winning goal against Lake Forest. He also has two assists this season. Parker Colley is leading not only the freshmen with assists, but the whole team, with five.  

The hockey team has 25 goals this season coming from twelve players. Senior Nick Monfils is currently leading the team in goals, having scored five to date. Assistant captain Connor Blanck, senior Jake Howie and junior Clay Cross are not far behind with three goals each. The rest of the goals have come from captain James Mathias, Lawson MacDonald, Anthony Orubor, Chris Deprez, and Lane Valimont. Valimont has proven to be an exceptional defenseman for the team, leading Marian’s defensive core with four points on the season. Salvatore Scalise and Walker are next with three points each.

Awards have been given to two players already, to goalie, Hunter Vorva, and Cross. Cross was given the NCHA Offensive Player of the Week and Vorva was given the NCHA Defensive Player of the Week two weeks in a row. Vorva is currently ranked as the number 3 goalie in the conference, with 208 saves giving him a save percentage of 93.3. He has also been named the Sabre of the Month. 

The hockey team has not been immune to injuries this year. Brock Weston has suffered from a high ankle sprain but was able to return in the game against Finlandia, in which Colley faced an AC separation on his shoulder. This could leave the team without him for around four weeks. In the latest game, against St. Norbert, Deprez blocked two shots with his foot, breaking it. He will be expected to return in six to eight weeks.  

This will be the last year of college hockey for seniors Mathias, Jon Brumwell, Lonnie Clary, Monfils, Howie, Jack Romanuik, Kyle Carignan, and Valimont. Despite the pressure of graduation, they’ve still found ways to contribute to the team’s success. This is Romanuik’s first season as a Sabre transferring from our rival, Concordia University-Wisconsin. He played an influential role in the win against Bethel.  

On fan turnout, Clary says, “All we gotta do is win. It’s that simple. You win, the people will come.” 

The team will be playing one home game before Christmas break on Wednesday, December 12 at 8:00pm against Concordia University-Wisconsin.