Club Spotlight: Black Student Union

Back to Article
Back to Article

Club Spotlight: Black Student Union

Alyssa Fredock, Reporter

Black Student Union, or BSU, was restarted by Shana Risby in the fall of 2017 and is now led by president Tirria Smith. BSU was on campus in the past but was dismissed due to lack of student involvement. That is not the situation today though, as BSU is going strong with a tremendous amount of support and student involvement. This comes from both on and off campus students, and traditional and non-traditional students.  

On campus, members have shown their club pride by organizing annual blackouts,” where the crowd wears all black, during Marian basketball games to honor Black History Month in February. On February 26, they held a candlelight vigil not only for Trayvon Martin, but for all victims of racial injustices and police brutality. BSU can also be credited with implementing the “Food For Your Soul” project that Marian’s food service Sodexo features every Tuesday. This cuisine project was first created in 2018 to take place every Friday during Black History Month and features different foods that give students the opportunity to learn about other cultures. 

Involvement is sustained through the presence of BSU at a range of student conferences, such as the African Heritage Inc. Emerging Student Leaders Conference in Appleton, WI, where students have the opportunity to meet others from local colleges that are dedicated to the same club they belong to. BSU members also participated in a Black Love Ball, where students brought out their “freshest” attire.

The hard work and dedication of BSU has not gone unnoticed. In 2018, the club received recognition with the Emerging Organization Award on Marian’s campus. So far, the reinstatement of the club has proved to be extremely successful in getting students involved and advocating for causes they believe in. There are also future plans to look forward to, such as an outdoor movie showing on May 10th that will begin at dusk. 

If you like what you hear and are interested in joining BSU, attend one of their meetings, which are held every other Monday in Stayer T205 during Sabre Hour. The next meeting will be on April 29. If you aren’t able to make this, the club also holds study sessions in Campus Ministry which begin at 6:30 P.M., and the next session is on May 6th