Batter Up!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Batter Up!

Brandon Mills, Writer

While the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders are still relatively new to the community, this does not mean they have not made a big statement in their first couple years of operation. 

In just their second year as an organization, the Dock Spiders clinched the Northwoods League Championship. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Northwoods League, it is a summertime college prospect league where the players can continue to develop their skills against elite competition. I recently got a chance to talk to the General Manager of the Dock Spiders, Ryan Moede, about the upcoming season and asked him a couple questions to get the Marian community a little more acquainted with the team.  

1. Q: For the people in the Marian community that do not know what or who the Dock Spiders are, why don’t you give them a little background on the team.

A: The Fond du Lac Dock Spiders are entering our third season of play as a member of the Northwoods League, a summer collegiate baseball league which showcases some of the top college baseball players from around the country.  The Dock Spiders play at Herr-Baker Field on the campus of Marian University. Last season, the Dock Spiders won the Northwoods League Championship in just our second season, matching the fastest team in league history to win the title.  Our mission at the Dock Spiders is to bring family friendly entertainment to the city of Fond du Lac and the surrounding areas.  Whether you’re a die-hard baseball fan or just looking to have a fun night with family and friends, a Fond du Lac Dock Spiders game is the place to be this summer! 

2. Q: Congratulations on last seasons championship, that is a big accomplishment. As the General Manager, what are you expecting from the team this year, as I would assume expectations are pretty high

A: Thanks for the congratulations.  Yes, we did tie the record for fastest team in the league to win a championship by winning the title in our second season.  Our manager, Zac Charbonneau, puts together our roster and did a phenomenal job last year.  The bar has been raised for this season, but I think we’re going to have some very good players coming to Fond du Lac to play again this summer. 

3. Q: What is one thing the Fond Du Lac community can expect when they come to a Dock Spiders game, and what is the thing that you want them to leave the ballpark with?

A: The Fond du Lac community can expect we will provide a great family-friendly venue where every person will have a blast and enjoy their time at the park. We always strive to have all our fans walk away with a smile and desire to return no matter what the outcome of the game is.  

4. Q: Which Marian player will be joining the team this summer? 

A: We will be announcing that player shortly, but it has not been finalized yet  

5. Q: What do you expect from him this season, and how have the Marian players done in the past? 

A: We expect all of our players to come in and have a teamfirst mentality and willing to do whatever is necessary for the team.  We’ve had three Marian University pitchers over the last two years and they have definitely followed through on that. We anticipate having that same sort of person added to our roster this year.   

As of now, that is all for the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders pre-season review. The community is looking forward to witnessing more great accomplishments this summer, and the Dock Spiders are certainly looking to bring home another championship.