Just Imagine If It Was You: Sexual Assault at Marian University

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rayna Schraeder

Imagine this: a college student invited to a house party. The music is blaring and there are clouds of smoke from the various Juuls floating around the room. They have a pre-mixed drink in their water bottle, mostly raspberry vodka and a little bit of cranberry juice. The world becomes hazy as they drink more and more. In the morning, they wake up undressed in an unfamiliar place. They do not remember how they got there no do they know where they are. They feel unsafe, violated, and alone.  

According to the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network, 11.2% of college students (both male and female) have experienced rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence, or incapacitation. However, women on college campuses ages 18-24 are three times more likely to be assaulted during their time attending a university. College campuses are becoming hunting grounds to sexual predators and Marian University is trying to keep the campus as safe as possible and proactive against sexual assault and violence. 

SafeColleges Training 

For the first time ever, Marian University required all of their students to complete a training module provided by Safe Colleges in compliance with Title IX. Paul Krikau, the Dean of Students and Title IX officer explained to students in an email sent out on July 25th, that the university wants to make sure that all students, staff, faculty and administration feel safe and included on Marian’s campus. Each student was required to complete both the modules before returning to campus for the fall semester. While many students believed that this process was just for students here at Marian University, SafeColleges is now required in compliance with Title IX and is federally mandated.   

Going Green Against Sexual Assault 

Along with the SafeColleges e-learning module, Marian has also implemented other programs on campus to help fight sexual assault on campus. Green Dot is a program developed by the company Alteristic and is mandatory for all NCAA athletes. Every athlete at Marian is required to go to Green Dot training, but opportunities to be involved with Green Dot are also available through the SUAVE club at Marian University.  SUAVE stands for Students United Against Violence Everywhere.  The club that brings awareness to tough issues such as sexual assault, domestic violence, eating disorders, bullying, and suicide. The SUAVE club hosts all the Green Dot events on campus and provides training opportunities for students who are not involved in sports. The next Green Dot training through SUAVE will be in the spring, so mark your calendars!