New Sodexo Executive Chef Brings More to the Table

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chef Fritz is all smiles as he does what he loves, cooking.

Nikolaus Johnson, Writer

Some students never have anything good to say about cafeteria food no matter what is served or by who, but regardless of what you think of the food overall, students from previous years have noticed their meals are now a higher quality as compared to years beforeAn explanation for why the food seems to be of higher quality could be the new Sodexo staff members. One such staff member is Executive Chef Fritz Gaul. Many students have taken note of not only better food, but also how outgoing he is with the students. 

Gaul has been serving food for quite some time now despite his recent arrival at Marian. “I was [serving food] at UWOshkosh for 14 years and another company won the bid for that account but I wanted to stay with Sodexo and this is the next closest place that I could find,” said Gaul.  

In addition to his experience and friendly demeanor, Gaul also enjoys his profession. “I’ve always worked in restaurants; I’ve always enjoyed [the work] when I was in high school and I’ve always noticed that especially in the early 70s and even into the early 80s.” Gaul then elaborates on why he wanted to get into the career he is in now by stating, “A lot of people didn’t know a lot about food and I’ve always liked it and enjoyed it and so that’s what made me want to do it.” Gaul continued by saying, “It’s a social business. I learn things from my staff and the students every day.” 

He noted that the students at Marian make the work far easier and more enjoyable compared to some of the other places where he’s worked in the past. “I think, especially the students, I really like you guys, as far as all the students [go and] as far as I have met,” said Gaul. 

Gaul also credits his staff for making his job enjoyable. “It’s been great. I mean I’ve got a good staff too that I work with, it’s different than where I’ve come from and a bit smaller but that gives me the opportunity to do some things I couldn’t do before.” Gaul also enjoys making things for students that you wouldn’t normally see on a school lunch menu.  

“I like to change things up. At the beginning of this year, I made ribs and a good number of students enjoyed that. If you guys ever want to see something on the menu, or want to see a certain dish more or less often, don’t be afraid to just let us know.” Gaul said, “Also, don’t hesitate to try something you haven’t before. It might just become your new dish.” 

He also enjoys joking around with the students. When asked to elaborate on his years of experience, Gaul said, “I don’t know if I could count that high. Let’s see. 80… 85… 1985 when I came out of [culinary] school and not 85 years. I’m not that old, but I’m close. Two days older than dirt. 

So stop by the Hornung Student Center to check out Chef Fritz Gaul in all his glory, and sit down for a meal with (or from) him sometime! Feel free to also contact Sodexo Marian on Instagram, @MarianUniversityDining!