SPECTRUM’s Masquerade Ball returns again for “spooky season”

Melanie Swisher, Freelance Writer

A spooky, scary… Smiley face? And pumpkin costumes by two creative students at the Ball.

SPECTRUM is the LGBTQIA+ group at Marian University that is open and accepting of everyone, including Allies! Each year, as a club we host a Masquerade Ball in October to celebrate our group and get into the Halloween spirit. This year the Ball will be on Saturday, October 26th, from 7:30-11:30 pm in the Hornung Student Center (HSC).

Two students serving spooky looks at the Ball as a cat and bloody zombie.

The Masquerade Ball also has a different theme voted on by active members every year. This year’s theme is [G]RAVEYARD (pronounced “raveyard,” but with the spookiness of a graveyard). We also have a costume contest that all attendants can participate in. There are four categories: best costume matching the Ball’s theme, best couple’s/group costume, scariest costume, and best gender non-conforming costume. Each contest winner will receive a $15 Amazon gift card, and the group costume category will receive a $20 Amazon gift card to split the prize amongst the group’s contestants.

Along with the costume contest, we will also be having a variety of spooky festivities at the Ball. There will be dancing and music provided by a DJ from Nite Lights Entertainment, and green screen photography provided by the Forensic Science Association. Another activity we are hosting is our unique take on “bobbing” for apples, but in order to avoid ruining attendants’ makeup and prevent a mess, we will be dangling apples from the ceiling and “bobbing” for them that way!

Jinkies! That’s one good-looking squad at last year’s ball.

In addition to all these exciting events, there will be a pumpkin decoration contest. Prior to the Ball, on Wednesday, October 23rd from 5-7 pm in room 306 of the Administration building, the Art Club will be putting on a pumpkin designing event. If you attend this event and design a killer pumpkin, your design can be entered into the contest, and attendees at the Ball on Saturday will vote on the best pumpkin! A $10 Amazon gift card will be awarded to the best pumpkin designer too.

So, if you’re looking to get involved this spooky season, come to these events – SPECTRUM welcomes all!