Sabre Votes: Voices on campus

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sabre Votes: Voices on campus

Lillie Lee, Vice President of Student Senate, and lead organizer of the upcoming “Sabre Votes.

Lillie Lee, Vice President of Student Senate, and lead organizer of the upcoming “Sabre Votes."

Bradey Resulta, Writer

Casting a vote means having a voice. As college students are becoming active members in society, their votes matter because it means they can change matters that concern them; and make a change.  

However, according to the Campus Vote Project, “Young adults (ages 18-29) made up about 21% of the voting-eligible population, but voter turnout for this demographic has reached record lows in recent years.” In light of today’s political climate, many young adults are advocating for change in a multitude of topics and policies. Though, with their lack of participation and education in voting, their hopes for reformation are suppressed. 

Marian’s Student Senate is encouraging students to vote by raising voter registration awareness on campus. They have created an organization called “Sabre Votes” that will give students the proper tools and education to participate in voting. 

College students deter from registering to vote because they often miss timelines and are lacking other vital information to instill confidence in the specific vote that they are casting. 

Lillie Lee, Vice President of Student Senate, and a junior at Marian, said, “The overall goal of [Sabre Votes] is to have at least 50-100 students registered [to vote].” This goal will hopefully be reached by the upcoming presidential election. 

Time management or lack of transportation is what prevents students from registering. However, Sabre Votes intends to provide certified personnel at various events on campus so that students do not have to worry about going through extreme lengths to register. 

Lee said, “[Sabre Votes] will have the forms and will be making sure that [students] have the necessary information to be able to register to vote.” 

Students can register for voting at events on campus such as “Pups to the Polls.” This event will include dogs on campus and various volunteers to assist students in the registration process. 

Lee said, “We’ll also have open laptops so that students can register online and be aware that they can do it online. So, we’re going to have open stations in the [Hornung Student Center].” 

Not only will Sabre Votes be providing the campus with the tools to register for voting, but they will help students become politically aware of themselves. There are apps and surveys that students can access which will help them determine their political parties and beliefs that will then be communicated through their right to vote. Sabre Votes will have these apps available to students at the events and are considering passing the information to Marian’s student mentors so that the surveys can be a part of the First Year Seminar’s curriculum. 

“They don’t know which pressing matters matter to them. So, we are hoping to provide that information to students that are unsure.” Lee said. 

When asked why she votes, Lee said, “I vote because I exist. I am a person. And my voice matters. I think when people think of voting they think it’s only to elected officials. When in reality, everything is political so they should be able to understand the process and that their voice matters.” 

Sabre Votes is expecting its first event to take place in early November. Students should notice, soon, event flyers and updates from the organization. It will not be a ‘one-time event’, it is rather a process to promote the growth and personal generativity within students. 

When opinions arise, and students feel the need to take action, it can be communicated through voting. Everyone has a voice, but it’s about finding the medium through which it can be heard. Thanks to Sabre Votes, this becomes possible.