Fun night at the “raveyard”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fun night at the “raveyard”

Josie Theys, Freelance Writer

SPECTRUM’s Masquerade ball has come and gone. SPECTRUM is the LGBTQIA+ student organization at Marian University that is open and accepting of everyone, including Allies! Each year, as a club we host a Masquerade Ball in October to celebrate our group’s acceptance and fun-loving atmosphere, and to get into the Halloween spirit. Saturday the 26th saw a turnout of over 30 students who came out and shared their Halloween spirit with us.

This year saw the return of our costume contest, with its four categories: best matching, best couples/group, scariest, and best gender non-conforming. There were many fantastic costume submissions, we wish we had more prizes to give out! In order of category, our winners were Emily Grunewald as a skeleton, Rae Johnson and Destiny Chavez as the Mad Hatter and Alice, Mikey Logan as a marionette, and Kayla Schollmeyer as Beetlejuice!

The 2019 Masquerade Ball also brought back the Art Club Pumpkin Contest for the second year. After Art Club’s pumpkin carving and painting event on the 23rd, artists had a chance to enter their creations into a contest to be judged at the ball. We had more pumpkins entered then we ever would have imagined; over 20 pumpkins participated in the contest. The winner of the contest this year was none other than Sabre Voice’s own Brenda Ordonez, with her adorable smiling pumpkin, complete with pumpkin seed teeth!

Brenda Ordonez’s winning pumpkin.

After such a wonderful event, we have to thank the people that made it possible! Thank you to the Forensic Science Association for their amazing green screen photo booth! All the photos taken will be sent to their respective attendees to remember this night.  

Our greatest appreciation goes out to everyone in attendance this year. You all made this Halloween one to rememberOur next meeting is November 15th in the Honors Hub (1st floor of Regina) during Sabre Hour. Feel free to follow us on Facebook at Marian University SPECTRUM or contact one of our co-presidents, Mel Swisher and Mikey Logan, for more information on how to get involved with us!