Busy bees without the honey payout? The significant stress of college students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rayna Schraeder, Writer

College is an exciting, thrilling time for many individuals. New experiences, new people, and a completely different way of life. However, college is extremely stressful, and it is taking a toll on students. Between academics, internships, sports, extra-curricular, and trying to hold down a job, college students are under great pressure to perform despite trying to juggle the ins and outs of everyday life. According to the American Psychological Association, over 45 percent of college students throughout the nation report being under constant stress due to the demanding responsibilities that college brings.

Hannah Buntrock, a senior majoring in communication and minoring in marketing expresses her concern about the pressure that many students feel throughout their years in college.

“I believe that college students have a lot of pressure put on them. In between having a part-time job, getting good grades, extra-curriculars, and internships, it can be hard not to feel stressed all the time. I feel like we are not taught proper self-care when it comes to anxiety and being worried about responsibilities all the time. We need someone to tell us that it’s okay; that we will be okay.”

Like Hannah, many students at Marian University feel as if the stress is constant. The most important question may be; how does a student cope with stress? Fortunately, Marian has an on-campus counseling service that provides a wide range of services including individual and group counseling, crisis intervention, consultations, educational programs, and referrals to off campus resources in the Fond du Lac area.

While counseling may not be everyone’s cup of tea, there are a few things that students can do to reduce stress and take care of themselves. One thing students can do is directly confront the stressor, and see what changes need to be made. For example, do you have an overly busy schedule? Take the time to see what can be rearranged to free up some time. Don’t be afraid to say no to events in order to take some time for yourself. Set aside time to read a good book while enjoying a cup of coffee at Sammy’s or attend a sporting event on campus with some friends. More importantly, reach out to others for help and support. Don’t be afraid to reach out to loved ones, professors, or someone you trust to help unwind and talk through what might be weighing you down.