Embracing cultural roots: what to expect

Shana Risby, Writer

“Embracing Cultural Roots” is the first show of its kind giving students and community members a platform to express their cultural appreciation. This event will be taking place Saturday, February 15 right here on campus in the Hornung Student Center (HSC)! The doors will open at 7:30 pm and the show will start at 8 pm. Food and drinks will be served outside the HSC for everyone to enjoy provided by Sodexo. The Sabre Voice will be present right on the red carpet covering all the action for this event.

The Black Student Union has been working extremely hard to make this event possible for everyone to partake in. There are a few things to expect. First, everyone in the audience is in for a deep-dive into multiple aspects of culture. There will be performances from dancing and singing to a live skit.

The Boys and Girls Club of Fond Du Lac has also put together a short skit based on the poem “Hey Black Child” by Countee Cullen. This play deals with issues that black youth face from self-confidence to mental health. There will be a step show from Marian’s Greek life, Beta Psi Nu and Beta Sigma Omega. They are set to bring intense energy and get the crowd hyped!

This show will be filled with powerful spoken word poems as well. Some poems deal with relevant social justice issues, and others hit hard topics on mental health. But wait, there is more! The Black Student Union is taking this opportunity to give appreciation to its members and faculty around campus. Many awards will be given out for academic excellence and representing Marian’s core values. Super-person and most supportive faculty awards will be given out to outstanding faculty and staff too! You do not want to miss this opportunity to experience a celebration of cultural diversity.