On-campus living: what the brochures don’t tell you

Townhouses, one of the many options available for Marian students.

Jazmyne Thomson, Writer

How do you feel about your current oncampus living situation? Are you thinking about staying in the same building with the same people, or possibly switch to a totally different living situation? With five different oncampus housing options offered to Marian University students, you may need all the help you can get. If this is the case, look no further. This article will provide information on the housing options for the upcoming academic school year. 

Naber Hall is one on-campus option that is available for freshmen only. Many would say that this building of residency is similar to the “standard,” college dorm… Long hallways, two occupants to a room, communal bathrooms, etc. Previous resident of Naber Hall Maria Slack said that its residents were loud and obnoxious. People would “knock on people’s doors, run up and down hallways shirtless,” and she also noticed that there was a lot of smoking in the building (which is against Marian policies). Though, Maria said there’s about six washers and dryers in Naber Hall, and that she really liked the laundry area. It should be noted that all oncampus housing provides free laundry. While it can get obnoxious in Naber, there are some who say they really enjoy living in a building with such a strong sense of community. 

The Courtyards of Marian University are offered to students of any grade. In each Courtyard, there are three bedrooms, a common area, along with a toilet and shower(s). Sophomore Casey Dare claims his favorite quality of his Courtyard is the amount of space he had in his bedroom and common area. During his freshman year, he lived in a triple occupancy room that was smaller than his current double occupancy room. Because of this size difference, he said he likes his current Courtyard much better than the last. He loves how the beds in Courtyards are able to be lofted, leaving him enough room to fit a storage bin, dresser, etc. underneath. As for laundry, Dare describes the five washers and eight dryers for all twenty-one courtyards as “a tight squeeze.” He explains how it becomes annoying having to wait for other people to grab their laundry once it is done. Overall, Dare says that he would recommend Courtyards over any other Marian housing.  

The Duplexes, which are offered to upperclassmen, are equipped with a living room, kitchen, bathroom, and three bedrooms. Junior Mara Ver Hage explains that she really likes her kitchen and says, “There is so much cupboard space, like seriously there’s enough room for all three of us down here…We still have so much extra cupboard space.” It should be noted that Duplexes hold approximately 10 residents (five per floor). The only complaint Hage has about the kitchen is that her oven does not give an indication of when it is done preheating, but she explains that it is not a crucial issue. In Duplexes, there is one washer and one dryer for the ten people living in each building, and these are located in the basement.

Hage says, “Our basement is super creepy…I only do laundry during the day…” She also mentions other residents’ garbage and clutter throughout the basement. Regarding Hage’s bedroom, she explains how the beds are bolted and unable to be lofted. This means that each bed cannot be lowered or lifted. Because of this, Hage’s roommate struggles getting into bed due to the height, and Hage cannot use the ladder climbing into bed because she will hit her head. It should be noted, though, that not every Duplex has the same beds, kitchen appliances, etc.  

Another housing option offered to upperclassmen is the Cedar Creek apartments, which come with the same amenities offered by the Duplexes. Ozzie Bahena currently lives there, and really enjoys the independent style of living (he lives in a single room and has two housemates). As for the kitchen, Bahena’s only complaint is that the pathway in the kitchen is too narrow. He says, “If your roommate iwashing dishes and you’re making food, you’re basically touching each other’s butts.” For the approximate twenty people living in Bahena’s building, there are two washers and dryers, which he explains can get tricky to coordinate with others’ laundry schedule. Between Cedar Creek and his previous housing (Courtyards), Behana says he would rather live in Courtyards because it’s easier to grow close with the housemates. 

The Townhouses, located next to the Courtyards, are also available for upperclassmen. Previously mentioned, Maria Slack currently lives in this building and really enjoys the amount of privacy she has, the kitchen, and how easy it is to get close to a lot of people. While she does have these favorite qualities, she explains, “For the entire strip, there’s five Townhouses, we share two washers and two dryers… That’s like thirty-five people.” Slack said she once saw a picture of three laundry baskets of other people’s clothes they didn’t grab from the dryer sitting in the laundry room, which can be frustrating. Another downfall she mentioned about the Townhouses is that the walls seem paper-thin, and that she can hear people from different townhouses walking up the stairs or playing video games.  

Director of Residence Life Severa Krueger was able to give some insight about future plans for housing. She explained how there is potential talk of new housing, but it probably wouldn’t be for a few more years. She said the tight squeeze of students living on campus is part of the reason why Townhouses got a makeover entailing new carpets, tile in the kitchen and bathroom, new windows, a paint job, and new heating and cooling systems. This upgrade was made possible due to the donation from the Sisters of St. Agnes.

There are no current plans to upgrade housing in the near future, but there is hope to upgrade the flooring and paint in the courtyards. Krueger’s most common complaints about housing typically regard the size of the bedrooms and closets in Naber Hall, Townhouses, and the Courtyards…especially in triple occupancy rooms. Krueger explained that students complain about the size of closets in the triple rooms, which she says is accurate. The rooms originally were double occupancy, but since they’re so big, it was a way to give more students the opportunity to live on campus. 

Krueger’s favorite on-campus housing is Naber Hall since “It’s the traditional college experience…” Students are able to meet a lot opeople living there, even though it may be awkward running into someone in the bathroom. Her piece of advice for students looking at housing options is to simply do research and figure out what specific qualities of housing you are looking for. 

Information regarding pricing for on-campus housing and meal plans can be found hereInformation about locations for each of the on-campus housing options and details about them can be found with that linkIf you or anyone you know has any more questions regarding housing, contact Severa Krueger at [email protected]